Submitted by Haylee in Mascoutah, IL
- 1 lb bratwurst
- 2-3 strips bacon
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- McCormick’s Grill Mates Roasted Garlic & Herb seasoning (or your favorite seasoning)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 12oz bottles of beer for boiling brats
- 2 cups beer (for the soup)
- 1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
4 cups half and half
6 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
bacon bits or shredded cheese for garnish, if desired.”
- Boil brats in beer (I use a lager, such as Leinenkugel’s Classic Amber, or Creamy Dark). Then grill brats until nearly done. Cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Melt butter in large sauce pan or soup pot. Cook bacon until nearly crisp. Add carrots, onion, celery, and garlic and saute with the bacon over medium heat. Crumble bacon as it cooks. Add brats and saute with veggies/bacon so flavors mix (a couple minutes).
- Add the Roasted Garlic & Herb seasoning. Pour in chicken broth and beer; simmer about 10 minutes ensuring all vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in flour with a wire whisk; cook, stirring until the flour is light brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. Gradually stir in half & half, whisking to prevent scorching, until thickened. Remove from heat, and gradually stir in cheese. Keep warm.
- Stir beer mixture into cheese mixture. Stir in Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and dry mustard. Bring to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes.
- Serve hot. Sprinkle with shredded cheese or bacon bits for garnish if desired.