Submitted by Beth in Blue Mounds, WI
- 1 1/2 lb. hamburger
- 1 1/2 lb. ground italian sausage
- 2 cans light or dark kidney beans, undrained
- 2 cans chili beans, medium or hot, undrained
- 2 28 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium-large onions, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons chili powder, mild or hot,or to taste
- Sour cream (optional)
- Shredded cheddar Cheese (optional)
- Cook hamburger and Italian sausage in skillet until browned.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Mix all above remaining ingredients, (except sour cream and cheddar cheese) and add drained hamburger.
- If using a stockpot, simmer on low for 3 - 4 hours. If using a crock pot or slow cooker, put on low overnight or for 8 - 9 hours.
- Stir occassionally.
- Serve with a dallop of sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese if desired.