Submitted by Crystal Rhea in Hilton Head Island, SC
- One 18.25 oz box of white or yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs (instead of what is calls for on the box)
- 1 cup butter milk (instead of water that is called for on the box)
- Vegetable oil (amount called for on the box)
- Food coloring (green and gold)
- Cupcake tin (this makes about 24 cupcakes)
- 1 can of frosting
- Cupcake papers
- Sprinkles, or anything else you want to use to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix with a hand mixer on low for 30 seconds until all ingredients are mixed, then mix on high for 2 minutes.
Separate batter into smaller bowls, one for each color that you want in your cup cakes. I used 2 bowls for green & gold.
- Make sure they are thoroughly mixed and there are no clumps of food coloring left in the batters.
- Put the cup cake papers in the cup cake tin. I used foil papers so that you couldn’t see the layers of color until you opened it up!
- Start with the color you want at the bottom of the cupcake, in my case, that was green. Continue layering up until you get to the color you want on top. Make sure not to fill the cup cake papers over two thirds full, otherwise, the tops of the cupcakes will overflow and stick to the baking tin.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Take them out of the oven and let them cool before moving on to the next step (I know! This is the most difficult part!). Decorate with your Green & Gold sprinkles, frosting etc.
- When you bite into the cupcakes, you get a green & gold surprise! GO PACK GO!!