Submitted by Kerry in New City, NY
- For the Cookies -
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 ounce milk chocolate, chopped
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the Filling -
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise and seeds scraped
- Make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine the semisweet and milk chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 50 percent power until melted, about 2 minutes. Whisk until smooth.
- Whisk the melted butter, sour cream, eggs, vinegar, vanilla and food coloring in a bowl until combined. In another bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in four equal batches, whisking each batch completely before adding the next. Stir in the melted chocolate.
- Scoop heaping tablespoonfuls of batter onto the prepared baking sheets and smooth the tops with a damp finger. Bake until the cookies spring back when lightly pressed, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: Beat the cream cheese and butter with a mixer until smooth. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla seeds. Sandwich a heaping tablespoonful of filling between 2 cookies; repeat with the remaining cookies and filling. Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.